Current:Home > MarketsPredictIQ-Former police chief who once led Gilgo Beach probe charged with soliciting sex from undercover ranger at Long Island park -Capitatum
PredictIQ-Former police chief who once led Gilgo Beach probe charged with soliciting sex from undercover ranger at Long Island park
Oliver James Montgomery View
Date:2025-04-07 03:58:06
A former suburban New York police chief who once led the Gilgo Beach killings investigation and later went to prison for beating a suspect was arrested again Tuesday after authorities say he attempted to engage in sex with an undercover ranger at a Long Island park.
James Burke, Suffolk County's police chief from 2012 to 2015, was arrested around 10:15 a.m. at Vietnam Veterans Memorial Park in Farmingville after exposing himself to the ranger and saying he was interested in oral sex, according to an arrest report obtained by the Associated Press.
Burke, 58, then attempted to leverage his status as a former law enforcement official to get out of the arrest, which was part of a targeted operation spurred by complaints about people soliciting sex in the park, officials said at a news conference Tuesday.
As he was being taken into custody, Burke asked the rangers if they knew who he was and told them that getting arrested would be a "public humiliation for him," Sgt. Brian Quattrini said. The ranger who arrested Burke did not recognize him, Quattrini added.
Disgraced former Suffolk County police chief James Burke was arrested again Tuesday morning after allegedly soliciting sex and exposing himself at a public park. https://t.co/5DDsNSonjw
— CBS New York (@CBSNewYork) August 23, 2023
Burke is charged with offering a sex act, public lewdness, indecent exposure and criminal solicitation, Suffolk County Police Commissioner Rodney Harrison said. Burke was taken to a police station for processing. Information on his arraignment wasn't immediately available.
Burke's lawyer in his previous case died last year. It wasn't immediately clear if he had a lawyer who could speak on his behalf regarding Tuesday's arrest. The Suffolk County district attorney's office did not respond to a request for comment.
Burke led the Suffolk County Police Department for a tumultuous three-year period that culminated in his arrest and guilty plea to federal charges for beating a handcuffed man suspected of stealing pornography, sex toys and other items from his department SUV.
Inside the courtroom during Burke's sentencing in 2016, his victim, Christopher Loeb, locked eyes with Burke and said, "You abused your power, and I will never again feel safe living in Suffolk County," 1010 WINS' Carol D'Auria reported.
"Your abuse of power and the public's trust is appalling. You told me no one would believe me," Loeb added.
The scandal also toppled the county's longtime district attorney and the county's top corruption prosecutor, who were convicted of helping Burke cover up the beating.
During his tenure, Burke oversaw the high-profile investigation into the deaths of multiple sex workers whose remains were found in the area of Gilgo Beach on a desolate stretch of Long Island coastline.
Burke has been criticized over his handling of the investigation by other law enforcement officials, who said he blocked his department's cooperation with federal authorities. Rex Heuermann, a man suspected of committing at least three of the killings, was arrested earlier this summer.
Burke resigned in late 2015, just before federal prosecutors charged him in the beating and cover-up that put him behind bars. He served 40 months in prison and was released in 2019. His probation ended last year.
Former Suffolk County District Attorney Thomas Spota, 81, and the chief of Spota's anti-corruption bureau, Christopher McPartland, 57, are both serving five-year prison sentences for witness tampering, obstruction of justice and conspiracy.
Spota and Burke had a kinship that dated to the ex-chief's teenage years in the late 1970s, when he was a star witness in a murder case that Spota was prosecuting.
Burke started out as a New York City police officer in the mid-1980s but soon moved to the Suffolk County department, one of the largest suburban forces in the country with 2,500 officers.
Before he became chief, Burke had survived an internal department probe in 1995, first reported by Newsday, that concluded he had a relationship with a woman engaged in prostitution and drug dealing, and had engaged in sex acts in police vehicles while on duty and in uniform.
- In:
- Suffolk County
- Gilgo Beach Murders
- New York
veryGood! (793)
Related
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Mayim Bialik says she is out as host of Jeopardy!
- Fantasy football winners, losers from Week 15: WRs Terry McLaurin, Josh Palmer bounce back
- Jeff Roe, main strategist for DeSantis super PAC, resigns
- Realtor group picks top 10 housing hot spots for 2025: Did your city make the list?
- Pakistan is stunned as party of imprisoned ex-PM Khan uses AI to replicate his voice for a speech
- Author Masha Gessen receives German prize in scaled-down format after comparing Gaza to Nazi-era ghettos
- Revisiting 'The Color Purple' wars
- Rams vs. 49ers highlights: LA wins rainy defensive struggle in key divisional game
- 36 jours en mer : récit des naufragés qui ont survécu aux hallucinations, à la soif et au désespoir
Ranking
- Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
- Matt Rife doubles down on joke controversies at stand-up show: ‘You don't have to listen to it'
- Ravens vs. Jaguars Sunday Night Football highlights: Baltimore clinches AFC playoff berth
- A suspected cyberattack paralyzes the majority of gas stations across Iran
- Questlove charts 50 years of SNL musical hits (and misses)
- Austin police shoot and kill man trying to enter a bar with a gun
- April 2023 in photos: USA TODAY's most memorable images
- 15 suspected drug smugglers killed in clash with Thai soldiers near Myanmar border, officials say
Recommendation
Macy's says employee who allegedly hid $150 million in expenses had no major 'impact'
Eagles replacing defensive coordinator Sean Desai with Matt Patricia − but not officially
February 2023 in photos: USA TODAY's most memorable images
South African ex-President Jacob Zuma has denounced the ANC and pledged to vote for a new party
Arkansas State Police probe death of woman found after officer
Near-final results confirm populist victory in Serbia while the opposition claims fraud
Shawn Johnson and Andrew East Confirm Sex and Name of Baby No. 3
Not in the mood for a gingerbread latte? Here's a list of the best Christmas beers